Dual Language Program
What you need to know…
Since the 2012/2013 school year, our school has been running a 1st class, ascending as a focus class for English, with “English as the working language”.
These classes have also had the DLP rating since 2014/15.
In these teaching units, the respective subject teacher – alternating in a wide variety of subjects – is provided with a native speaker teacher who is specifically responsible for the English language. The team of teachers is responsible for the precise project planning.
Who benefits most from the DLP program?
DLP is aimed at those students who have already had previous experience with English in elementary school, but above all have a special interest in the English language, not only regarding the compulsory subject English, but also the use of the foreign language in other subjects. The pupils should bring along curiosity, open-mindedness, social skills and a willingness to communicate.
What DLP is not…
DLP does not mean bilingual teaching. English is being used increasingly, in a focused and goal-oriented manner within a limited time frame.
What is the process for admission to a DLP class?
Admission to a DLP class requires an interview that takes place in January
as part of the usual registration and admission process. All other required admission criteria have to be met by applicants.
Procedure for an admission interview:
- Two English teachers meet with two candidates
- Duration: about 15 minutes
- Warming-up phase: The students answer questions about hobbies, family, school, etc.
- Picture card: Each student chooses a picture card, then talks about the picture.
- Reading a story: The teacher reads a short, simple story. Next, the students are given six pictures about the story, and they work together to put the pictures in the correct order.
How to register for an admission interview:
- Telephone registration at the school (01/8771414) from December 9th to December22nd, 2020.
- Interviews: Wednesday, January 20th and Thursday, January 21st , 2021, from 8.00 m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Results will be sent by post/mail until January 26th , 2021
- preliminary acceptance and how to proceed then: acceptance in the DLP class will only become final after registration in February 2021, if all other admission criteria for the 1st class AHS are fulfilled.
If your child is not admitted to a DLP class, we would be delighted to welcome him/her in any other of our 1st classes.
The DLP program at Fichtnergasse is unique. Unlike other schools, our DLP classes are project-based. Each school year, DLP classes participate in four two-week projects that focus on a special topic. Our native English speaker works closely with subject teachers to create a cross-curricular plan specific to that topic. Because of this project-based approach, our DLP students experience an in-depth use of English in a wide variety of subjects that are normally taught in German. Over this two-week period, these subjects often include History, Geography, Math, Music and Art, as well as science classes such as Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Through this learning process, our students are given the opportunity to broaden their knowledge of the English language while exploring different topics, such as Culture and Traditions, Nutrition, Tourism, the Middle Ages, Children’s Rights, and Recycling.